home       the gallery      artists       calendar       art classes       contact


DEAN CARTER

Dean Carter joined Tech's architecture department in 1950 to teach sculpting. At that time, Tech had no art department. Carter would later help establish the art department and become its head for 15 years. Although he retired in 1995, Carter is still active sculpting, exhibiting, and guest lecturing. Last year, he sculpted a portrait head of the late Tech architecture professor Leonard Currier - the work awaits dedication in Cowgill Hall.

Two portrait heads, one of Tech's architecture department founder Clinton Cowgill and one of Bauhaus art and architecture movement originator Walter Gropius, are in Cowgill Hall. Gropius never sat for anyone, but Carter. Recently Carter donated a portrait head of Gropius to the Huntington (W.VA.) Museum of Art, which was partially designed by the Banhaus legend.

In 1995, Carter completed bronze door pulls in the shape of fish and the four evangelists Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John for the Ikenoue Chapel in Japan. Akira Inadomi '60, Carter's former student and the chapel's architect, commissioned the project.

                     
 

Animals in Granit

   

Family

   

Woman

 

Young Maiden

 

Mother & Child